Connect with us
WANT LATEST NEWS UPDATES STRAIGHT TO YOUR PHONE? CLICK HERE TO FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

News

Army debunks allegation of land grabbing in Osun

Published

on

The Nigerian Army has refuted reports regarding a controversial land tussle between it and 65 families in Osogbo, Osun State.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Director, Army Public Relations, Maj.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, said the land in question had been a subject of litigation by the people of Osogbo for a long time.

He said the litigation predated the appointment of the current Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, on June 19, 2023, contrary to the allegations against him.

This, he said, is clearly evident in the agitators’ claim of possession of a High Court judgement obtained sometime in January 2023, when Lagbaja was still the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1 Division Nigerian Army in Kaduna.

According to him, the attempt to wrongly portray the person and office of the COAS as the protagonist behind the land tussle in the eye of the public was simply a clear act of mischief that will serve no useful mediatory purpose.

Nwachukwu said that it was an attempt to denigrate the reputation and integrity of a detribalised, selfless and patriotic COAS.

“As an institution committed to upholding the Rule of Law and respect for the rights of the citizenry, the Nigerian army will unabatedly continue to be a law abiding institution and at all times, pursue the fulfilment of its obligations under the law.

“Suffice it to say therefore, that the Nigerian Army has taken cognisance of the judgment of the High Court of Justice of Osun State in the case of Chief Amodu Akanbi Suleiman Folorunsho & Others V. Attorney General of the Federation & Others,” he said.

Nwachukwu urged the public to discountenance the ‘misinformation’ being circulated to avoid being misled and taken advantage of by persons and groups with ulterior and sinister motives.

Trending