Connect with us
WANT LATEST NEWS UPDATES STRAIGHT TO YOUR PHONE? CLICK HERE TO FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

News

Makinde reveals cause of Ibadan explosion, visits scene

Published

on

Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde has said that preliminary investigation revealed that explosive devices stored by illegal miners led to the explosion that rocked Ibadan on Tuesday night.

The governor said while investigation is still ongoing, those found culpable would be brought to book.

He added that so far, two people died in the explosion, while 77 others were injured.

The governor in a statement issued on Wednesday said he visited the scene of the explosion which occurred at about 7:44 pm on Tuesday in Bodija, Ibadan.

Makinde noted: “We have already deployed first responders and all relevant agencies within Oyo State to carry out comprehensive search and rescue operations. These operations will continue throughout the night.

“Earth moving equipment, ambulances, emergency lights, and security were deployed to the scene of the incident. The wounded and injured are being treated and moved to public and private hospitals within Ibadan.

“Medical personnel are on standby at these hospitals to provide all needed assistance to the injured. We have visited UCH to see some of those injured during the incident.

“In total, we have 77 injured victims so far, most of whom were treated and discharged and 2 fatalities. May their souls rest in peace and may God give their loved ones the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.”

The governor said he had directed that the medical bills of all victims be covered by the government.

He stressed that the state government would also be providing temporary accommodation for those whose houses were affected and ensure that they are supported to rebuild their lives.

Makinde noted: “Preliminary investigations by the security agencies revealed that illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices there which caused the blast. The investigations are ongoing. All those found culpable for this will be brought to book.”

The governor urged residents to call 615 for any emergency they might be experiencing at this time and to remain calm.

He also urged them to stay away from the immediate scene of the incident to allow rescue operations to be carried out without interference.

Advertisement

Trending